Wednesday, May 3, 2017

Santiago Vaquera-Vásquez: "If I’m doing a self-translation, I find myself changing the original in many ways"

Santiago Vaquera-Vásquez is a Chicano self-translator and currently a Fulbright Senior Lecturer at Hacettepe University in Ankara, Turkey. In an interview with Xánath Caraza, published on La Bloga on 1st May 2017, he talks about his experience of self-translating his short story “Algún día te cuento las cosas que he visto” into English.

"Even after publication, I still tinker with my cuentos. And, if I’m doing a self-translation, I find myself changing the original in many ways to the point where I have to go back to make those changes in the other version. My story, “Algún día te cuento las cosas que he visto” has undergone a number of changes, and that’s probably the story that has been most edited as it moved from Spanish to English to Spanglish."
To read the complete interview please click here.

No comments:

[CFP] Self-translation in Children's and young adult books

Call for papers: Conference: Self-translation in Children's and young adult books Padua, 13-14 February 2025 Self-translation has only r...