Saturday, August 17, 2013

Marine Petrossian: "I decided to translate my poems into English myself"

Interesting interview conducted by Jill McCoy with the Armenian poet Mariane Petrossian, who learned French in order to appreciate the French translations of her poems and was shocked by the result:
And then, fluent enough in the language, I started reading my poems translated into French and was shocked! The texts were quite different from the ones I had written. The translator had changed the tone of my poems, making them more “poetic”. This is how it happened that I decided to translate my poems into English myself.
To read the full interview, please click here.

No comments:

Panel discussion: Translating a self-translation: Epic Annette 8th February

Epic Annette: Podium Discussion with Anne Weber (German-French self-translator) and Tess Lewis (translator of the novel into English),  orga...